- 1/4 pound boneless round steak all visible fat removed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons no-salt added tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed crumbled
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry I use whatever red wine I want to drink that night
- Put mean in freezer for 30 minutes for easier slicing. Slice meat into thin strips about 2 inches long. Sprinkle with pepper. Heat oil in a large and heavy skillet over medium high heat, swirling to coat bottom. Saute mushrooms until tender, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Saute onion in same skillet until brown, 3-4 minutes. Add to mushrooms. Add meat to skillet and brown quickly on all sides rare, 2-3 minutes for tenderloin, 3-5 minutes for round steak or sirloin. Add to mushrooms. Add flour to skillet. Gradually pour in broth, whisking constantly. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in remaining ingredients except sour cream. Stir in mushrooms, onions, and meat. Cook for 15 minutes. Pour sour cream in a small amount of meat mixture. Add sour cream mixture to skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!